Saturday, August 06, 2005

Voices at the Gate

Favorite quotes (and context) from the past couple days...

"Ochay!" -The Turkish Guy, attempting to say "okay" in such a way that even Fox and Jr (our Iraqi interpreters) found humorous. In response everyone on my staff has adopted the word as replacement to its original.

"It's not that way. You just want it to be that way in your imaginary mind." -Fox, in response to my assertion that a good portion of the Iraqi population would step out in front of a bus to cross the street, saying simply "Insh Allah"(God willing/God's will be done), instead of waiting for the bus to get out of the way.

Pat: One more item on my list of things I don't enjoy about Iraq -- the smell of a port-a-john on a 120-degree day!
Me: What else is on the list?
Pat: Let's see... the smell of a port-a-john on a 90-degree day!

"That company is just mad f***ing whack!" -Sentinel47, in response to a contractor with what must be a record number of security risks and just-plain-stupid people.

Jr: I would like to go to the gym, but I can't. [base policy does not allow interpreter access]
JC: Why is that?
Jr: Because I am in the hell... jail, hell, [our base]... it's all like being in the hell.

2 Comments:

At 8/06/2005 10:07 AM, Blogger Mary Godwin said...

Yeah, I know that "imaginary mind" of yours, too. I've had a go 'round or two with that "imaginary mind" of yours from time to time. Fox has it more than a little bit right ... smiles!

Fun read, Tommi. Always good atcha! -mom

 
At 8/06/2005 4:00 PM, Blogger me said...

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Dr. B - portajohns stink no matter what the temp.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home