Thursday, July 21, 2005

Swimming Pool and Exercise

Here's an overhead view of the pool and softball field on base. Today I visited the pool for the first time since arriving here.

I got this great idea, and it worked out pretty well: exercise on the Elliptical machine (low-impact cardio) for thirty minutes and then take a dip in the pool. It really helps that Pat was a high school and college swimmer, so he gladly provided the good company to set me more at ease while surrounded by all the men who frequent the area.

I realized something very important today. I have been very busy being bitter at the government and military for taking away key elements of my "free" life back home. I've harbored such disdain that at times it backfires. For example, today was also the first time (!!!) that I exercised since arriving in Iraq! I have been justifying this to myself in a belligerent pull against the Army emphasis on measuring quality of character by fitness -- to an extreme in many cases. I was so busy counter-acting the military emphasis on fitness that I forgot it had once been an important part of my life, all on its own -- for the sake of health and balance.

Here's to one more milestone, one more step in a healthier direction. More when I can.... -t

1 Comments:

At 7/28/2005 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

T
I have to ask. The pool looks standard Mil issue and brings back memories. Let me guess. Cement with a heavy duty plastic liner. Lots of clorine to fight algae in the heat and sun? About 130 degrees in the shade around it. Am I close?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home