Friday, September 16, 2005

Beer and a Bug Zapper

...so it wasn't real beer; it was the Iraq-deployment non-alcoholic kind (which I hate consuming), but I had a "non-mandatoy" explain-to-the-executive-officer-why-if-you-can't-make-it event!

The officers in my unit hosted a handful of officers from their/our higher headquarters on the roof of the three-storey building they now inhabit. My buddy Neil and I grilled the steaks, and I didn't eat any -- I got sick the last time I consumed steak with these knuckle heads.

I wish I would have had some sort of fish-eye panoramic lens to capture the beauty of seeing the sunset and moonrise simultaneously. They hung in the sky, challenging each other to a duel for about 30 minutes. It was so beautiful. It was a clear clear night, burn-smoke rising on one horizon, the "man in the moon" showing crystal-clear complexion, and then the haze of Baghdad night settling in.

There's a bug zapper that migrated from the poker deck over to the new roof-top canopied area. They turned off the florescent lights and a blue glow fell over us, along with intermittent showers of bug corpses scattered by the shock. crazy.

I didn't want to be there. I miss home. I hate pretending this is "fun," you know? I don't even understand the motivation for military politics. Their world is not mine, and they know it, and so do I.

Remembering the real world...

2 Comments:

At 9/16/2005 2:26 PM, Blogger Mary Godwin said...

The "real world" misses you, too, Tommi. ... this is a beautifully written post. Your voice is so clearly conveyed in it. -mg

 
At 9/16/2005 2:46 PM, Anonymous dr. b. said...

and of course there are those of us in the real world who are super proud of you and anxious to meet you in real life. Can I also just say that I am impressed thst you keep your toenails painted?!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home