Saturday, June 18, 2005

To the Moon and Back

So… Here I am, back in Iraq. I took my 15 days of leave at home, and I REALLY NEEDED IT. I am exhausted from the travel back, but work and life here are bouncing back to rhythm for me, having never changed for the people I left here in the interim. My boss even gave me an assignment within the first hour after I was on the ground!

I left my base on May 24th; spent 40 hours at Baghdad International Airport – living, sleeping, etc on the concrete slabs they have next to the runway (this is not uncommon) – check out temperatures here to get an idea of the conditions I’m talking about (general link since I couldn't get any specific Baghdad info to load at the time of this post); then another 40 hours in Kuwait – at least showers and a bunk were available this time; flight to Dallas, complete with 2 hour wait on front end for flat tire, one hour stop in Shannon, Ireland to refuel, and one hour wait on tail end for terminal availability, grand total of 18 hours; layover, flight, layover, flight and home!!! Left home early the morning of June 13th, same as above process but in reverse, ending with the sweatiest, most uncomfortable part. Strangely, I think that’s what is giving me an appreciation for being back to a place where I would otherwise never choose to live.

I was so grateful to see greenery, trees, grass, rain!, and loving faces of my family while I was home. They are so wonderful. More when I can…



4 Comments:

At 6/18/2005 8:14 PM, Blogger Kat said...

I was glad to hear you got a few extra days at home. Keep well and be safe!

 
At 6/18/2005 11:49 PM, Blogger James said...

It's good to know you're well and occupied. Time will pass more quickly this way.

I love those irish-green eyes, my beautiful baby sister. It was so wonderful to have you home, too. I miss you already, and wish you could be here for every next thing. Up to the moon, and back down to the dirt.

-James

 
At 6/19/2005 11:06 AM, Blogger Mary Godwin said...

Great picture, Tommi, and good to see the "other than army" side of a soldier. Keeping busy on base should help the time pass. ...believing in your safety and return to home again soon.

 
At 6/20/2005 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tommi,
It was good to see you back from the green world. Thank you for blessing us with a visit. Having been in that world I know how to pray for you and do. Saying I know how to pray for you I admit that I only know in part how to pray because there were no females at my baseand I am not a female. I can understand and see where you have extra stress and bagage to carry and strongly feel the job carries enough burden and challenge without adding all the facets and issues that come with human identity and sexuality. Word that you were going there was such a trip. You are the same age as the boys and I had a good idea about what you were gong to. More Prayers, need to keep you in prayer. More than just the safety in the here and now, Prayer for the rest of your life as you carry this bagage. Prayer for the bitters as it will taint your whole view of the world and life. Prayer that you don't grow to cynical because it takes the joy out of life and it's possibilities. Prayer for your heart with the loss of innocence to that side of life. Prayer for your being as you seek reason in all this. Prayer that you not seek reason in economics, politic ideology or philosophy. Prayer that you find refuge in Proverbs 3:5&6, Rom 8:28 and the whole book of Philippians just to name a few. My heart is heavy that you are even there but I am proud of you for being there and answering the call to duty. I respect the path you chose to walk and the integrity to walk it with strength and diginity. Words cannot explain but I understand. Walk with God keeping your eyes on Him and not the hell you find your self in. Remember it is only the valley of the shadow of death that you walk through, his rod and staff are there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home