Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Bunker Down

So... being a rebel at the moment. It's 11:15 a.m. and the base was just hit with rockets about 35 minutes ago -- multiple locations of impact. Sirens go off, everyone is supposed to put all their protective equipment on (ha! that's what we wear at the Gate all day every day, anyway); and you move quickly to the bunkers. And you wait. And you wait. And at some point, there is an 'All Clear' given, and all units must account for all their people.

I'm obviously not in the bunker.

Hmph. I was late on producing the slides for the meeting that will take place at 1 p.m., rockets or not. So I'm in my room making final touches. No overhead cover, no bunker, no protective equipment. Just the "tin" roof over my head.

And all that, just to be able to say I was a rebel for one day! Fate be damned. Remind me to comment on the General's visit and my chain of command's failure to acknowledge my existence -- let alone importance -- unless it is a feather in THEIR cap for a VIP visit! (bitter? me? never!)

That's all for now. Off to the meeting in body armor. Thank God for "mortar certified" buildings!

1 Comments:

At 4/20/2005 5:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah... eh hem ... mortars flying overhead and no body armor? ...because your chain of command neglected to acknowledge you? Well, all I can say, and you'll understand this better than most, is: "No, No, Baby." ...with a smile and a happy heart that God made "mortar certified" buildings. I love you, Tommi. -mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home